The Truman State University athletic department carries a secondary athletic insurance policy on all Truman athletes. This policy covers injuries that occur while participating in official practice activities.


*** New this year***  All athletes must have their own insurance

Every athlete must complete an insurance form


form       Click here to fill out an insurance information form   (Have a clear digital picture or scan (tif, jpg, or png format) of your insurance card ready to submit with this form.)


  1. Please be aware that many insurers drop primary coverage of dependents once they reach the age of 21.  This can often be avoided simply informing the insurer that the dependent is a full-time student.
  2. If you have a PPO or HMO, the athletic department suggests you switch your primary care provider (PCP) to a physician in the Kirksville area to make injury care faster and easier.  Most insurance companies allow you to switch the PCP back to your hometown for summer and upon graduation.  If you need suggestions for a physician, contact Head Athletic Trainer Michelle Boyd (660-785-7364).
  3. All Truman athletes must have their own insurance policy.  If you do not have insurance, please see some suggestions below.  You will not be allowed to participate in athletics until you have proof of insurance coverage.

Learn more about Truman Athletics' secondary insurance policy. 

Covered Expenses

Non-Covered Expenses

Getting Primary Insurance

Getting Bills paid

What does the secondary insurance cover?
Truman's policy is a secondary policy.  This means that it is designed to pay expenses after your primary insurance has paid.  All bills must be processed by the primary insurance before bills can be paid.  This policy only covers expenses that are a direct result participation in supervised, official athletic practices and competitions.  Covered expenses include:
  • Injuries that occur as a result of athletic participation
  • Covers medical charges for one year after the injury
  • Physician visits, diagnostic tests, surgery, and rehabilitation


What is not covered by Truman's secondary policy?

Truman's policy does not cover injuries that occur outside of official practices or competitions.  Injuries that occur during pick-up games, on-your-own conditioning, or during summer training are not covered by Truman's policy.  Some of the non-covered expenses are listed below.

  • Illnesses
  • Injuries that occur during the summer
  • Pre-existing conditions
  • Medications
  • Injuries that are caused by personal accidents
  • Injuries that are not reported to the Truman medical staff
  • Chiropractor visits
  • Orthotics


***New this year ****   All Truman athletes are required to have their own insurance.

The cost of health care very high.  In order to defray some of the cost, Truman requires all student-athletes to be insured under a primary insurance policy.  College students can incur significant out-of-pocket expenses for non-athletic related illnesses or accidents. No student-athlete will be allowed to practice until they provide proof of primary insurance.   If you currently do not have insurance, check out Dissinger-Reed Insurance   or e-health or United Health Care


If I have bills from my injury, how do I get them paid?

  1. Truman State University does not directly pay medical bills, expenses, or damages from athletic injuries. Bills that are not paid by the athlete's primary insurance company are submitted to the Athletic Department's secondary insurance company.
  2. All bills must be filed to your insurance FIRST. This is your responsibility. The University will not file any bills with your insurance company.
  3. Make sure that the guidelines set by your personal insurance are followed. If you have HMO or PPO, it is your responsibility to obtain pre-approval, referrals from network physicians, and notify of services.
  4. Inform the provider that Truman provides secondary insurance and ask them to contact Morgan Locher (her contact information is listed below)
  5. Providers rarely send bills and insurance information to the athletic department.  This is your responsibility (the department cannot process bills it doesn't have). Following payment by your primary insurance company, send the following to the address listed below.
    2. the EXPLANATION OF BENEFIT (EOB) from your insurance

Truman State University

1214 Health Sciences Building

Kirksville, MO 63501

Attn: Morgan Locher, ATC

(660) 785-7521 phone

(660)785-4166 fax



Return to Incoming Bulldogs Return to Athletic Training
Return to Athletics' Home